Sunday, May 16, 2010

Life Lesson's from Memaw

Yesterday, we celebrated my Memaw Cooper's birthday. If you've ever met my memaw, you are a lucky person; she is magnificent in every way! I am oh so blessed to have her in my life and I wanted to share some of the things I've learned about life from her, and hopefully you can too :)

1) Keep God #1 in your life at ALL times. My memaw is a true woman of God and it shows. She is graceful, patient, kind, loving, a servant, and a friend to all whom she meets. God has always been her #1 man and even through the tough times, she has never once doubted his love for her and for us! Church and God have always been a top priority in her's and papaw's household and it's such a home full of love! She has always been a Godly example to me and for that I am ever thankful! She is a true Proverbs 31 woman and its my prayer to become a woman like that!

2) Always keep snacks handy in your home. Memaw used to babysit my brother and I when we were younger. Every day, without fail, we would enter the house and she would get out her pastel colored Tupperware bowls and fill them with Mike Sells potato chips from the big tin can. Holy stinkin' cow were these chips amazing! To this very day, every time I eat Mike Sells potato chips, I think of memaw :) I try to make sure my house always has some kind of snacks to offer people who come over because you never know when someone may just need a bowl of chips :)

3) Never, ever, ever, block the intersection of Nicholasville Road and Brigadoon Drive (right across from Fayette Mall), or any intersection at that ;) Memaw always brought up to her house this way and almost everyday, someone had blocked the intersection. If you have ever tried to turn there, you know how frustrating it can be! Memaw would grow angry at the drivers, but the worst word she would ever use was "dummy." However, for memaw to call you a dummy was bad news, since that's the most vicious word in her sweet vocabulary! (another lesson learned: foul language is very unlady-like and should be avoided) Today, there's a big sign there which says "Do Not Block Intersection," however people block it all the time! To this very day, I don't DARE block that intersection, because memaw always said it was a terrible thing to do ;)

4) Food is sometimes best when made from scratch. Memaw is an amazing cook and I've never had a bad meal from her. Seriously, never. She takes pride in her cooking and it shows! Meals are not only amazing, but everything is presented in such a beautiful manner. She uses recipes she's had for years, new recipes, and items for which she has no recipes. Regardless, its always fabulous and I try to imitate this when hosting parties of my own. There's just something about walking into a home where the food not only tastes great, but thought has been put into the presentation of it as well. I feel like we live in such a fast paced society that we forget how to sit down, really cook a meal, and enjoy it with friends and family. Memaw has this down to an art and for teaching me that, I am forever grateful :)

There are many other lessons I've learned from her in my 27 years of life and I know there will be many more in the future! If you are so blessed to have your grandmothers in your life, take the time to enjoy them and learn from them as much as you can. They have been around much longer than we have and know A LOT more about life!

Happy Birthday Memaw! I am SO, SO, thankful for you!!!!!

XOXO,
Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment