Sunday, October 14, 2012

Scrumptious Sunday....HEALTHY -tastes like pumpkin pie- muffins!

It's been FOREVER since I've posted a yummy recipe, mostly do to the fact that we lived in a hotel for 70+ days this summer and I didn't have a kitchen, but now that I have a kitchen again, I've started cooking AND am using all of our new kitchen gadgets we got for our wedding!
 
Yesterday, I made these super delish, HEALTHY, taste like pumpkin pie muffins. They have no refined sugars in them and use all natural and organic ingredients. I wish I could say all of my creations were that healthy! Ha!

 
I found this recipe on Tenley Molzahn's Sweet and Free page. Tenley was a former Bachelor contestant and lives a gluten-free lifestyle. While I don't do gluten-free, I do try to watch my sugars and refined carbs as much as possible. I'll admit, I was a little hesitant to make these as I thought they might be a tad gross, but they weren't- they seriously taste like pumpkin pie-hence the reason I'm sharing the recipe!
 
 
Here's what you need:
 
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup almond meal
2 eggs
1/4 cup organic applesauce
1/4 cup organic honey
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 Tbls. Chia seeds (I had no clue what these were until reading her blog. They are super good for you and don't change the flavor. I got mine at Trader Joe's for about $5 a bag.
 
I put everything in the Kitchen-Aid and mixed it for 15-20 seconds until it looked like it was mixed well.
 
It was my first time using the new mixer and I am in L-O-V-E! It mixes SO much better than my $10 Wal-Mart hand mixer! Ha!
 
I knew they wouldn't rise much, so I filled about 8 muffin cups pretty full-I sprayed mine with Pam spray and they came out just fine.
 
 
The batter was so yummy that even Gonzaga couldn't get enough! Ha!
 
Don't worry, the bowl went through the dishwasher to kill any dog germs :)
 
 
The muffins baked on 350 for about 30 minutes and then they were ready to eat! I ate one right away-it was just like warm, pumpkin, pie!
 
 
I figured the calories to run about 150 per muffin, but remember, it's all good calories and much better than all of the sugary pumpkin muffins you could make :)
 
 
Happy Muffin Making,
 
Ash
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. heck yes, those sound delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely a great way to start the day.. especially knowing how much calories too.
    I am following you now and would love for you to follow back.
    Jillian
    http://puzzlemecomplete.blogspot.com/2012/10/hugs-and-smiles.html

    ReplyDelete